Monday, November 30, 2009

My Mom's Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Don't buy them at the mall - make your own at home for a fraction of the cost. I wrap them individually with parchment paper, a nice tiny bow in the middle then stacked in a festive Christmas basket. I'm not creative at all - so if I can pull it off, you can too! You can bake them smaller though, by using a tablespoon instead of a 1/4 measuring cup.

My Mom's Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 12 oz package chocolate chips (I use Nestle mini semi sweet chocolate chips - I prefer the even small distribution of chocolate, plus they remain creamy in the cookie.)

Cream butter and shortening, gradually adding sugars, and beating well at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Sift flour, soda, and salt, then and add to creamed mixture, mixing well but not over mixing. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by 1/4 cup onto greased cookie sheet. Lightly press down. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 17 minutes until light brown.

I sometimes sprinkle mine with vanilla sugar - I love the crunch on top!

No comments: