Thursday, December 3, 2009

Do you remember making No-Bake Cookies / Wheat Fudge?

This is the first thing I ever made - I think it was in elementary school, and I don't know why it was called Wheat Fudge. What I do know, is you can buy them made by Lofthouse, $3.99 for 8 cookies. Yikes. You can make triple that amount by making them homemade, at a fraction of the cost.

No Bake Cookies / Wheat Fudge

2 cups sugar
1 stick margarine (I use the margarine that's 80% vegetable oil from Kroger)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
3 cups quick oats
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

In heave saucepan, combine sugar, margarine, cocoa, and milk. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly and boiling for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly fold in peanut butter and vanilla. Next add the oats, stirring rapidly. Work quickly dropping by spoonfuls onto wax or parchment paper.

Cool & enjoy!

Great gift item too for the holidays! Put them in a nice serving tin, plastic containers or holiday boxes. I've been getting mine at the dollar store - or my local Big Lots has nice holiday cello bags, a 20 ct. package for $1.50. I wrap mine individually in the holiday plastic wrap then put them in the serving container that's lined with tissue paper. They stack nicely in the cello bags, but they should all be the same size. I drop mine by tablespoons so they look alike but still have that rustic, homemade look.

No comments: