Monday, January 22, 2007

Pantry Bean Chowder

Catt's Bean Chowder

This is so easy, I am almost ashamed to post it. 10 years or so ago, I went into a local salvage store and was able to get canned northern beans, potatoes, carrots, butter beans, and other canned goods for pennies a can. I put together this recipe as a result of that great find, and I am glad I did. It is one I repeat and people who come to my house to visit request it. My mom loved it, and she said it is not a soup at all, more like a chowder. (Please, so there is no bloodshed, do not call it a stoup.)

In the morning, before I left for work, I would dump in the crock pot:
2 cans Northern Beans
1 can Butter Beans
1 can potatoes, diced into small cubes
1 can carrots, diced into small cubes
enough cups of chicken stock or broth (made with bullion, or base) to cover
1 tsp minced onions
1/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
1 cup diced smoked sausage, ham, or kielbasa
salt and pepper to taste

I turn it to low and cook it all day. If it was a Saturday, I cooked it on high for about 3 hours. When it was done, I served it over fried cornbread. Sometimes, I had a nice cold bowl of cole slaw, the chowder and the slaw paired well with the different textures.

I know it is an easy one, but I have to tell you, I got these canned goods for $1 per case of 12. It made a great winter meal, considering I got the corn meal cheap also, and since at that time I was a single mom, I could not beat the price. To this day, when I get the canned goods 4/$1, I still make this at least once a week.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Made it - had it for dinner - loved it.