Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

To all of the mom's out there, I wish you a truly Happy Mother's Day.


As a 46 year old mom of 4, who lost her own mom in '96, this is much a bittersweet day for me. As a matter of fact, my mother often said she thought it was a day invented strictly by the card/flower/restaurant industry, but to certain mother's it was a very hard day almost bordering on cruel. I never knew what she meant, until I had to suffer my first Mother's Day without her. I thought of all the things I wanted her to have and never got: she'd go into a store, and see a beautiful beef roast but it was too expensive so she'd go without. And there was this wonderful chocolate she got just once a year and that was Christmas: it was an orange jel stick covered with dark chocolate. And once she was gone, I cried for those things she wanted but didn't get. I do enjoy the day for my children, even though we don't participate in the commercial aspect of it: no cards, no flowers, no restaurant because not only would it be too expensive, I want them to reflect on what the day is really suppose to be for. So dinner today? Why a beautiful beef roast (gorgeous one, not on sale thank you very much!) cooked slowly all day with some sweet carrots in a deep rich broth: mashed potatoes, and buttered lima beans. We'll 'sop' our plate with a nice crusty piece of bread. For dessert? Orange sticks with chocolate of course.

While being without a mom is certainly a club no one wants to be in, I do remember my mother worrying about the mom's who were alone on Mother's Day, or worse yet the mom's who weren't alone but would set by the phone all day for a call that would never come. I would hug her and say "Happy Mother's Day" and she'd say 'Everyday should be Mother's Day. Indeed.

No comments: