Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mother's Day Dinner

Mother’s Day Dinner

Pork Tenderloin (recipe or method provided)
Dressing
Catt’s Au Gratin Potatoes (recipe included)
Steamed Broccoli
Cottage Cheese with Fresh Fruit, Peaches and Pears are especially good with this
Catt’s Creamy Lemon Pie (recipe provided)
Iced tea

I prepare my pork tenderloin very simple. Just salt, pepper, and sear in a smoking hot skillet. After a few minutes on each side and it has a crust, I throw in a thinly sliced onion, a cup of water with a teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet and put it in a 400-degree oven, still in the skillet - one pot, one dish to wash. It will take about an hour and a half, and use a meat thermometer to make sure it is done (should register 170.) It makes wonderful gravy.

You can make your own stuffing, but to save time, the boxed dressing is just fine, I buy the pork flavored and here’s the thing: if it keeps the dinner from being stressful, then it’s ok.. Be sure to make this as easy as you can – spending time with your family is the most important! When I make my boxed stuffing, I use 2 cups of water and a whole stick of margarine. I also spoon a little of the gravy from the pork tenderloin onto the stuffing. If you are up to making your own stuffing, that’s fine too.

Catt's Au Gratin Potatoes

2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 minced garlic clove – I use a micro plane grater to make sure this is finely minced, so it melts into the cream
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Salt to taste

Peel potatoes - sliced very thin, or cut into small cubes. Rinse well. Whisk together cream, garlic, white pepper and salt - add potatoes and stir, making sure each one is coated. Generously grease a casserole dish. Using a slotted spoon, lift potatoes out of cream into dish. Pour the cream over potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour, or until potatoes are fork tender. Serve steaming hot. Normally I am one to substitute things here and there, but you must use the correct ingredients in this one, and follow the technique precisely. Each potato needs to be covered, so I stir mine around for 5 minutes or so. And I lift mine out with the slotted spoon, just like it says.

Catt's Lemon Pie

1 – 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
Prepared graham cracker or baked pastry pie shell
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks with sugar to taste

Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Whip until creamy. Pour into pie shell. Chill for at least an hour, and top with sweetened whipped cream.

1 comment:

bbillos said...

Thank you so much for posting some of your recipes. I love reading some of your stories of why they mean so much to you. I love each of your recipes which I have tried. I am so glad that I have found your blog.