Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Mother's Day Breakfast - Easy Pancakes, Brown Sugar Bacon and Homemade Syrups!

There's nothing wrong with having a pancake breakfast for Mother's Day. It's nice to get all the celebrating out of the way, and if you use these recipes you will look like a master!

When I make pancakes, I do mix the dry to the wet ingredients but I mix it in a large glass measuring bowl which has a lip. It makes it easy to pour on to the griddle. The griddle I use is a nice heavy cast iron griddle, and I use a little butter to grease it. I also use medium heat, as a matter of fact, I use medium to low heat. And I only turn my pancakes once; when the bubbles on the top of the batter start to appear, I flip it and let it cook on the other side just a minute or so. I remove the pancakes to a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper, and you can keep them warm in a low oven (I use 170 degrees.) Any pancakes left over can be stored in the refrigerator and warmed up the next few days with great 'just made' results! Also, I've got some suggestions as an alternative to your standard syrup. I don't know what it is, but when you make a special syrup for an occasion, people are so impressed.

Catt's Orange Buttermilk Pancakes (my favorite, I love orange)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup orange juice
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cooking oil

Combine all dry ingredients; in a different bowl, mix wet ingredients. Combine the dry and wet ingredients, and whisk just until combined. Keep in mind, the mixture can still be slightly lumpy - it's ok and will actually make the best, fluffy pancakes. Follow cooking instructions above.

The recipe below is the one my mom used as a general rule. It's easy to make, and you can use different syrups to flavor them.

Mom's Pancakes

2 cups Bisquick
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Mix ingredients just until combined. Cook as above.

This is my recipe for pancakes that taste just like a Snickerdoodle.

Catt's Snickerdoodle Pancakes

2 cups Bisquick
1 cup of milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
Cinnamon sugar to sprinkle after pancakes are cooked

Mix ingredients just until combined. Cook as above. When you remove them from the griddle, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. These are great served with warm honey.

You can make any pancake special if you serve them with warm, homemade syrups. So easy to put together too.

Lemon / Raspberry Syrup

1 pint raspberries
1 cup corn syrup (I use light colored as opposed to dark, I like the flavor)
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Heat on low heat in a heavy medium saucepan, until heated through.

Homemade Tropical Syrup

1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
Sugar, to taste

Heat on low in a heavy medium saucepan, stirring frequently and slowly adding sugar until it's as sweet as you want. This is fantastic served with a side of toasted coconut.

And speaking of toasted coconut.....

Catt's Sticky Bun Syrup

1 jar caramel ice cream topping
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup toasted pecans

Heat on low in a heavy medium saucepan, stirring frequently.

Don't forget, you can give a jar of homemade syrup as a gift - it's a thoughtful touch and you can be certain it's not something they'll get two of.

One more trick that will impress:

Bacon, regular and Brown Sugar Bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a heavy cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil: lay out bacon, making sure the bacon doesn't touch. Sprinkle half the bacon lightly with dark brown sugar. Bake, watching carefully (it burns quick) until crispy.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: