Monday, January 18, 2010

Easiest Tomato Soup!

I used to get a bowl of tomato soup from a great sandwich shop almost 20 years ago when I was a working girl. As I always do, I asked the owner how they made it; most people will be honest, but you've got that one person, who either doesn't want you to stop paying $4 for a cup of soup, or they don't want to admit cooking can actually be easy. Either way, they gave me the instructions on how to make this soup, starting with expensive canned tomatoes. It took me almost $50 later and 3 failed, awful batches of soup when I finally gave up. I was destined to never have the soup at home, settling for one cup a week at work - in my dress clothes - even during the winter, when I was all comfy in my robe and fireplace going at home.

A few months later I went to the restaurant for my weekly cup of soup and I told the young girl at the take-out counter how this was something I looked forward to but the one thing I duplicate at home. She said "I don't cook, and even I can make this soup. Want me to give you the recipe?"

Come to find out, evidently the owner either didn't want to give up the secret, or didn't want anyone to know his expensive, fancy restaurant sold soup - by the cup for $4 - started out with a can of Campbell's Tomato soup.

It's so good, you can't believe how easy it is.

1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup (10 3/4 oz can)
1 teaspoon pesto*
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in saucepan; over low heat, whisk until combined. Heat until hot but not boiling.

That's it. This is a very rich soup, so you only need a small cup. I love crusty bread with mine, or buttery crisp croutons. Refrigerates well, so you can reheat it during the week. It makes an excellent dipping sauce for grilled cheese.

*Back 20 years ago, I used pesto. But my now 12 year old son is allergic to tree nuts, he can't have pesto since it has pine nuts. So I substitute a teaspoon of grated Parmesan cheese, a small clove of garlic minced, a pinch of parsley and just a drop of olive oil. Plus the pesto, at my local store, is very expensive - and in my region so is the fresh ingredients of pesto.

Snuggle in and enjoy your soup!

No comments: