Thursday, January 7, 2010

Turn This Into That! French Onion Soup


I took the simple, inexpensive ingredients and made a delicious, satisfying lunch!
Yesterday, I purchased from Kroger, the following:
Campbell's French Onion Soup .......... $1 per can on sale (I used 2 cans for 4 servings)
Kroger Mozzarella Cheese .......... $1.99 for 8 oz. bag
Texas Toast Frozen Bread .......... $2.40 for a box of 8 slices
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Bake bread according to package directions (usually 6 - 8 minutes.) While the bread bakes, heat the soup according to directions.
Just assemble and bake:
Cut the bread into cubes (one slice of bread per bowl, you can serve an extra piece of bread on the side or save it for later)
Ladle soup into oven proof bowl
Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake at same temperature until cheese melts. Bowls are hot, be careful! And make sure your bowls are oven proof - that's really important!
For 4 servings, the total cost was about $1.60 per serving. If you ordered this at a restaurant, you can expect to pay at the very least, triple that amount. Mine was ready in a fraction of the time it would take to get carry-out, or going to the drive-thru. We never left the house.
Now, you can make the onion soup from scratch - which I do. But when I don't have homemade on hand, or day old french bread, the ready made ingredients keep me at home with my family instead of eating a cold sandwich or ordering out. And I always say, if keeping the ready made ingredients on hand means you don't settle for a dry burger and fries then it's worth it.
Homemade is good, but don't let not having the homemade-from-scratch ingredients keep you from making this soup!
And in my case, the fireplace inside our dining room with the snow falling outside was furnished at no additional charge - that means I had lunch on the table in less than 10 minutes, and my sons were more than happy to enjoy the meal with me. We laughed and talked for over an hour, and it only meant 10 minutes of work from me. I don't know about you, but I can't put a price on that.
Enjoy!

No comments: