Monday, January 11, 2010

This Is Not A Recipe

Last night, I took a large container of plain yogurt, let it drain overnight in a coffee filter (you can use your choice of method to strain.) Make sure you put a bowl under it that won't overflow into your refrigerator - sometimes you get a lot of liquid, sometimes not. Depends on the brand and how long it sits.

This morning, I threw away the liquid, took the thick yogurt mixture and added a teaspoon of Penzeys vanilla, half the zest of an orange, the juice from the half of orange and 2 packages of Sun Crystals (5 calories per package) mixed with a dusting of nutmeg and cinnamon, refrigerating until this afternoon.

About mid-morning, I took some fresh strawberries, cut them in half and tossed them with a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

When I crave a creamy snack, I layer the yogurt (I flavored myself exactly like I like it) with the strawberries - and don't limit yourselves to strawberries. I love raspberries, blueberries, whatever is available in your area and is afforable. Plus I make my own granola also affordable - just oats, coconut, almonds sweetened with honey, exactly what I like - none of that pesky granola full of cheap peanuts and fake maple flavor. Just watch it in the oven, boy it burns quickly!

That's the best part of making your own things at home - it's how you like it, at no extra charge. Plus when you make it yourself, you know it's not going to be wrong when you get home and opened the wrapper.

The only way I could get my young son to eat yogurt was to take the thick yogurt mixture, and instead of adding the stuff I liked, I added a package of the sugar free grape drink aid mix normally added to a bottle of water (and, it's not half bad!)

See, it doesn't always have to be a recipe!

No comments: